Re: [Hampshire] Auto-email MySQL Database dump

Author: James Ashburner
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Auto-email MySQL Database dump
Vic wrote:
>> rsync would require some setup at his end though
>
> http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ ?
>
> It's really very easy.
>
>> the mail command looks like a good bet.
>
> Is there anything sensitive in the database?
>
> Aside from the general crapness of sending vast gobs of data via email,
> SMTP often (usually?) involves cleartext transmission[1]. The entire
> database will be visible to anyone who sees the IP packets anywhere in the
> stream.
>
> Seriously - you'll find life *much* easier if you set this up properly in
> the first place. People don't like changing systems that are already
> "working"...
>
> Vic.
>

> [1] Many mailers can be set up to try to use encrypted links - indeed,
> many come pre-configured to do exactly this (that's how I found out about
> the STARTTLS command in the first place - it was in my logs, because my
> server was trying it). Yet an enormous number of mailers just don't use
> encryption :-(

Lets just say that it's not important enough for him to want a backup
more often than once a month :) There's nothing sensitive about it really.

Setting anything up at his end really isn't an option anyway. Having
said that, I can't find any way to attach a file to an email with the
mail command. I'm looking at doing it through Mutt now.

James