[Hampshire] iptables transparent redirect

Author: Tom Sykes
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] iptables transparent redirect
Hi,

I'm soon to be moving web/mail/ftp to a new server, and while the DNS
changes for my various domains are propagating around the internet I was
wanting to transparently redirect those services from my old machine to
the new one (both of which are real world servers, not on a local network).

I've tried several examples including [1], but don't seem to be able to
get any to work. I have got ipv4_forwarding enabled.

I have, however, found a small C utility called redirect [2], which I
can use if I can't get the iptables working correctly.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

[1] The best example I found was this one.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/TransparentProxy.html

[2] http://sammy.net/~sammy/hacks/