Re: [Hampshire] Re ... Automating rsync to run as root (Dam…

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re ... Automating rsync to run as root (DamianBrasher)
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Mat Grove wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:08:32 +0100
>> "Russell Gadd" <rustleg@???> wrote:
>>

>>> The topic would actually be how I intend to set up my system to make
>>> the transition from Windows to Linux - my idea is to do this
>>> gradually over an extended time period for various reasons and so I
>>> want a system solution which uses both OS's for "production" work.
>>>

>> When I migrated to Linux I used two machines (Win 95 and
>> Redhat) and a KVM to switch between them. I slowly started to do more
>> on the Linux machine but I could always switch back to Windows at the
>> touch of a button. Eventually all that was left on the Windows machine
>> was games, this is the basic setup I still use today.
>
> I dual-boot XP with Ubuntu and the only time I fire up XP is to game. As
> the PC is booted into Ubuntu most of the time it means I have to make a
> conscious decision to play, which is good for someone as easily
> distracted as me!

As I'm not a big Windows gamer, or gamer for that matter (apart from
Quake2-3 and Unreal when I first used Linux) - during my migration in 2000
I used VMware for windows applications, especially at the time Open
University course material. I now use KVM and KQEMU on Linux with windows
XP for those apps that won't run on Linux for my day to day work.

There is some information on the Wiki for setting up and using QEMU:- open
the Hants wiki the search for 'QEMU' - the pages for the specifics are
available. KVM and KQEMU both use QEMU if interested. KVM if for newer
Intel VT (Virtual Technology) enabled CPU's and KQEMU will allow you to
accelerate Virtual Machines on older non-VT enabled CPU's.

Damian

--
Damian Brasher
www.interlinux.co.uk