Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
Jim Nicholson wrote:

> Sean,
>
> You may have to get an external, RS232 modem. Most internal modems
> nowadays are WinModems and not very well supported under Linux. Don't
> get a USB modem, they are also usually WInModems, get one that conects
> to an RS232 port and a USB->Serial convertor if the PC doesn't have
> any RS232 ports.

Hi Jim,

It's been a while since we've heard from you!

I took one an external modem down the tip recently having offered it up
to the list for free a couple of times - that'll learn me!

Actually, I have always been lucky with laptop on-board modems, so
fingers crossed with this one, eh?

Also, I note that the 'Amilo LI1705 1G' is so recent as to not have an
entry over at Linux on Laptops, and googling returned mostly foreign
language results, so it looks like I will be pioneering some of this stuff.

Sean