Re: [Hampshire] '$100 laptop' to sell to public

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] '$100 laptop' to sell to public

Andy Random wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is something I saw during the week that I've not seen mentioned
> here yet:
>
> * '$100 laptop' to sell to public *
> A low-cost laptop, designed for children in developing countries, will
> go on sale in North America.
> Full story:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/technology/6994957.stm
>
> I know a number of people who would like to get their hands on one of
> these, I'm currently working on which of my American friends I can
> convince to buy one for me :)
>
> Andy

I'm sure they'll go on sale here soon. $183 each is great value but you
have to buy one to send to a 3rd world country, so even $366 or £200 is
still pretty good. I've got the 5W Koolu.com mini pc which uses the same
chip and even dual boot in to the OLPC interface, $300 direct from Koolu
or £250 from me (the VAT and delivery add a fair bit).

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk