Re: [Hampshire] '$100 laptop' to sell to public

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] '$100 laptop' to sell to public
<-- Warning: charset 'X-UNKNOWN' is not supported -->

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, John Cooper wrote:

> I'm sure they'll go on sale here soon. $183 each is great value but you
> have to buy one to send to a 3rd world country, so even $366 or ?200 is
> still pretty good.

They may or may not get to be offered for sale in Europe (despite the
global nature of the project the organisers seem to be fairly US-centric)
but if they did it would most likely be at a padded (VAT/shipping etc.)
price.

Under 200 UKP is a price I'm willing to pay for one and the fact that half
of that price is effectively a donation to the third world is an added
bonus.

It's just a matter of sorting out the logistics of getting someone else to
purchase one for me...

> I've got the 5W Koolu.com mini pc which uses the same chip and even dual
> boot in to the OLPC interface, $300 direct from Koolu or ?250 from me
> (the VAT and delivery add a fair bit).

Those look kinda interesting, though as it's a desktop it is clearly not a
replacement for the OLPC machines.

I assume you have the "Koolu Net Appliance", the device with a HD and
Ubuntu pre-loaded? How well does it run Ubuntu/Gnome?

Also am I right in thinking it doesn't have any kind of CD/DVD device?
Though I guess you could run one off of USB when needed.

Andy