Re: [Hampshire] Search domains in resolv.conf

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Search domains in resolv.conf
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:05:29 +0100
Charlie de Courcy <Charles.De-Courcy@???> wrote:

> A pet peev of mine I was hoping you might be able to help me with!
> I connect to our company network over standard ethernet Lan, using
> DHCP
> - however I need to add in an extra 'Search domain' to resolve some
> internal website addresses.
> This works fine for a single session by adding 'search blah.com'
> into the top line of /etc/resolv.conf or via the networkmanager
> gui; however as soon as I restart, it overwrites the information
> and I lose my search domain.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu Feisty, though I'm sure fedora did the same -
> any ideas how I can get this configuration to stick?

you could try resolvconf which will preserve settings between boots.
Put your desired settings in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base

of course this may conflict with U*****'s gui interface but since I
use Debian I don't care bout such fings.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package