Re: [Hampshire] LinkSys WRT54GL Router

Author: Jim Nicholson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LinkSys WRT54GL Router
Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:

>     > Can you show us all the settings on the screen that gives the
>     > error? Vague memories are stirring of having seen something similar
>     > in the past, possibly with a Linksys device.  I have a feeling that
>     > the error message was misleading, and the fault was with another
>     > setting.

> It's a fairly complex set of menus-within-menus and therefore
> difficult to reproduce. I'll bring it along on Saturday: perhaps some
> kind person will point out what I'm doing wrong.
>
>     I'm pretty sure some of these routers come with 192.168.1.1
>     <http://192.168.1.1> as the
>     default internal IP address. My current D-Link one does.

> Yes, this one does too. I changed it to something in MY sequence.
>
>     .....you may need to enable DHCP for boxes on the network and
>     let the router hand out IP addresses,

> I prefer to use static addresses, rather than rely on the elves in the
> basement. That way, I learn more about what is going on.
>
>     The zen IP address is a different thing and I remember having to faff
>     about getting the D-Link router to use the given external IP address,
>     seem to remember having to set it twice in different screens or
>     summat.

> I don't understand why a router, which is behind a DSL bridge (or
> 'modem', if you insist!) should need to know anything about the ISP's
> services. Perhaps someone could explain that, too!
>
> Until Saturday.....
>
> Chris.

I've got a LinkSys WAG54GS router which probably has similar menus.
I know when I logged into it first time, the form had spaces for two IP
addresses.
For BT Broadband, I had to change the encapsulation setting to "RFC2364
PPPoA" which gave me fields to enter my username and password instead.

HTH

Jim