Re: [Hampshire] LinkSys WRT54GL Router

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LinkSys WRT54GL Router
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 08:18:21 +0100
Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:

> Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> > I'm trying to add the above to my existing wired network.
> >
> > The setup routine provides fields for two static IP addresses:
> > one provided by the ISP and one for the device.
> >
> > For the first I've entered the IP address and subnet mask
> > provided by my ISP (Zen)
> >
> > For the second I've selected the next IP address in sequence, and
> > entered the same subnet mask that everything else on the LAN uses.
> >
> > When I try to save these settings, I get the message "Illegal
> > subnet mask!" Reverting to the router's default address and mask,
> > ( 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 <http://192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0>) I
> > get the same message, so I deduce that it's the one provided by
> > Zen that it's not happy with.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what's wrong?
> >
> > Chris.
> >

> Can you show us all the settings on the screen that gives the
> error? Vague memories are stirring of having seen something similar
> in the past, possibly with a Linksys device. I have a feeling that
> the error message was misleading, and the fault was with another
> setting.

I'm pretty sure some of these routers come with 192.168.1.1as the
default internal IP address. My current D-Link one does.

The problem then arises if your existing network is using something
different (I was using 192.168.0.0 for example with the previous
router) so you may need to enable DHCP for boxes on the network and
let the router hand out IP addresses, I was then able to set the
router so it always gave the same IP addresses to individual boxes
(so my server always has the address 192.168.1.4 for example)

The zen IP address is a different thing and I remember having to faff
about getting the D-Link router to use the given external IP address,
seem to remember having to set it twice in different screens or
summat.

Since it was a hassle and I have now forgotten the password I set up
I am reluctant to reset it to factory defaults so I can access it via
the browser interface.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package