Re: [Hampshire] LinkSys WRT54GL Router

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LinkSys WRT54GL Router
Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to add the above to my existing wired network.
>
> The setup routine provides fields for two static IP addresses: one
> provided by the ISP and one for the device.
>
> For the first I've entered the IP address and subnet mask provided by my
> ISP (Zen)
>
> For the second I've selected the next IP address in sequence, and
> entered the same subnet mask that everything else on the LAN uses.
>
> When I try to save these settings, I get the message "Illegal subnet
> mask!" Reverting to the router's default address and mask, (
> 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 <http://192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0>) I get the
> same message, so I deduce that it's the one provided by Zen that it's
> not happy with.
>
> Can anyone suggest what's wrong?
>
> Chris.

Can you show us all the settings on the screen that gives the error?
Vague memories are stirring of having seen something similar in the
past, possibly with a Linksys device. I have a feeling that the error
message was misleading, and the fault was with another setting.

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???