Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer
On Wednesday 03 October 2007 23:49:42 hantslug@??? wrote:
> How do people upload their music collection to their hard drives? cp
> (or GUI equivalent) for every CD is painfully slow. There must be a better
> way, since a lot of people seem to upload their whole CD collection and
> listen from the computer.

In KDE, you should be able to use the audiocd plugin. If you have
Konqueror, type "audiocd:/" as the URL, and it'll open the CD,
and allow you to browse the oggs, WAVs, MP3s etc. Just drag the
ones you want to your harddrive, and it automatically encodes them.
If you use Ogg Vorbis format, you may need to tweak the default
compression quality, since it defaults to 3, which is too low.
(I would dig out how to do it, but I need to rush off).

I then use Amarok (another KDE application) to listen to them.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???