Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58261100.hantslug.org.uk.7733': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Oct 4 00:12:04 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi,

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 23:49 +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> How do people upload their music collection to their hard drives? cp
> (or GUI equivalent) for every CD is painfully slow. There must be a better
> way, since a lot of people seem to upload their whole CD collection and listen
> from the computer.

In K****** you could use Amarok I believe which is a KDE app. Under
U***** you could use Sound Juicer Audio CD extractor. Another graphical
(and quite simple) tool is grip.

There are also command line tools to do it like mp3c. At the lowest
level I think there is cdda2wav which just takes the raw audio data and
spits it out as (large) WAV files, which you could then encode manually
(using for example oggenc and lame) to the format of your choice.

Many of these tools can look up the track, artist and album name online
as soon as you insert the CD, so that the track names (and meta data
within the audio tracks) are nice and sensible and easy to search on.

The term you should google for is "cd rip" when looking for this subject
matter, where "ripping" is the act of taking the data from a CD and
putting it on computer. The same is true of DVD (movie) ripping.

Hope that helps.
Al.