Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer
Steve Kemp wrote:

> Unless you want the overhead of storing the (large) raw files you
> probably *do* want to convert to MP3, or similar formats.
>
> I use a program called 'grip' which is a GUI to both rip and convert
> the CD-ROMs to mp3 files, for example.
>
> It is a pain. Recently I re-ripped my CD collection into .flac
> files and it took almost three days. I'd put in the CD-ROM, start
> the rip, then when it was completed and ejected (3-10 minutes) I'd
> put in the next one. 400+ disks ..

flac files are probably the best compromise on quality and space if you
have good hearing; oggs will save some more space if, like me, you can't
tell the difference or simply aren't that fussy.

The time needed to actually do a good job of it is an issue. A willing
and able niece/nephew/grandchild plus pocket money largely over comes
that though. My son offered to do it for my mate as soon as he gets his
storage sorted.

Finally you'll need something to stream the results - gnump3d ;o) serves
admirably in our household, although my poor old slug has to think a
little about cgi stuff, but is fine once the media is streaming!

Sean