Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to upload music CDs to computer
On Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 23:49:42 +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> How do people upload their music collection to their hard drives?

Via a conversion utility which converts the raw audio to mp3 files,
flac files, or ogg files.

> Or even: how does one upload one CD (temporarily?) in order to use a unique
> optical drive for something else (e.g. burning something else to CD) while
> listening to music?

That question isn't precise. if you upload the contents of an audio
CD-ROM to your comptuer you can then use the drive for something else.
You don't need to have a physical CD-ROM in the computer to listen to
music ..?

> I have tried Googling, but - possibly because I am tired and worded my search
> badly - I can find only how to handle MP3s etc., or upload to the Internet,
> not a person's own CDs to his/her own computer.

Unless you want the overhead of storing the (large) raw files you
probably *do* want to convert to MP3, or similar formats.

I use a program called 'grip' which is a GUI to both rip and convert
the CD-ROMs to mp3 files, for example.

It is a pain. Recently I re-ripped my CD collection into .flac
files and it took almost three days. I'd put in the CD-ROM, start
the rip, then when it was completed and ejected (3-10 minutes) I'd
put in the next one. 400+ disks ..

Steve