[Hampshire] Tabbed terminal sessions

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Tabbed terminal sessions
Does anyone happen to know how you open a new shell into a new tab in an
existing terminal window?

What I'm trying to do is create a menu item on my XFCE panel to open up
a new ssh session, and instead of opening up a new window for it, add it
to an existing shell window as a new tab.

I'm not sure whether this will work the same in all terminal
applications. The one I'm using it Terminal as supplied with XFCE.
According to the man page:

 --tab    Open a new tab in the last-specified window;
          more than one of these options can be provided

However, when I try this it doesn't matter whether I have an existing
terminal window open or not, I always get a new window open up with a
local shell, and then another tab with my ssh session (as created by
using -e to execute my ssh command line).

Hopefully that makes sense. It's late, but I keep forgetting to post so
I'm going for it anyway :)

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: