Re: [Hampshire] Tabbed terminal sessions

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tabbed terminal sessions
** Philip Stubbs <philip@???> [2007-10-05 11:28]:
> * rob (rob@???) wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 01:41 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > > Does anyone happen to know how you open a new shell into a new tab in an
> > > existing terminal window?
> >
> > CTRL+SHFT+T
> >
> > Provided you are using a tab capable terminal window, of course :)
>
> I almost made that mistake. That was not what he was after. I think
> what he wants is to be able to have a button in a menu somewhere
> that when he clicks it will run a script in a new tab within an
> existing terminal window.

** end quote [Philip Stubbs]

Yup, that's the one. I thought hard about how best to describe it and
thought I'd managed it. I almost added bit saying that it wasn't just a
case of choosing it from the menu, but decided against it.

I've created a custom menu with one item that allows me to add my key to
the ssh-agent, and then one item per server that I ssh into. I've used
this before, but now running it on this laptop I find that tabs are
easier to work with than windows, so would rather eash new session
popped up in another tab within an existing Terminal window. Clearly the
menu item / keyboard shortcut call something that may be accessible from
the command line.

When you look at the help for the Terminal command you get much the same
options as with gnome-terminal. The --tab option looked promising, but
when I use it I get a new window with one local shell tab and one ssh'd
into the server as defined by the -e option.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: