Re: [Hampshire] Meeting this weekend

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Meeting this weekend

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5750a100.hantslug.org.uk.9609': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Oct 6 16:05:05 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:33:22PM +0100, Stuart Sears wrote:
> Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 5, 2007 at 19:50:35 +0100 (+0100), Tony Whitmore wrote:
> >> Chris Dennis wrote:
> >>
> >> Physical only, and then only if you've registered in advance (as you have).
> >
> > It's worth pointing out that one possibility for how we could support
> > remote voting would be GPG signed votes. So taking part in any GPG
> > signings which we do might be a good idea. Not relevant for this year
> > though I'm afraid.
>
> Honestly, I really doubt that that will ever be adopted.

I don't know whether you realise, but Adrian was talking about
voting on LUG matters, such as who the officers are, as opposed to
electing the government of the country. :)

For the LUG, I hope it never is adopted since I don't believe that
virtual participants should be able to vote on LUG matters.[1]

> Personal SSL certs from a known and trusted authority, maybe.

They'd be good enough technically, but there is also value in
standardising on one mechanism.

> The ring of trust mechanism at the heart of GPG, if done properly, is a
> marvellous thing, but whose signature would you trust on a GPG key, if you are
> using it to elect the government?

The government's, probably. We already trust them to issue all the
paperwork that we already require for voting. :)

> And how many certs/keys do you think have been signed without
> proper checking?

I'd be willing to believe any figure up to "almost half of them".
I've added my key to the keyring of planned key signing events but
then been unable to attend, and still had people sign it even though
I was never even present.

For LUG purposes though (on the understanding that I oppose remote
voting anyway) a signature from a member of the committee would
probably be satisfactory.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] Note that I am for the most part a virtual participant. :)

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.