Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BT phone lines

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BT phone lines
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Evening all
>
> Does anyone know how ADSL broadband works with phone extensions?
>
> I have two phone points on the same BT line. Trouble is - the
> extension has been very professionally fitted - there's no indication as
> to which is which (i.e. which is the master socket and which is the
> slave). There's no socket coupler fitted to either point and the cable
> runs under the floorboards - and the wife won't let me investigate!
>
> As such, which (if not both) do I need to fit the microfilter(s) to?
> And if I only fit a filter to one, will the other be usable for calls?
>
> Hope I've explained that clearly enough - and sorry if this is ADSL for
> beginners but I'm stumped.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Hello Rob

ADSL isn't usually worried about which is the master socket. In
general, every phone socket that has phone equipment plugged in (whether
it's phone, fax, Sky box etc.) needs a filter.

See for example this page http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13 for
help with ADSL filters.

If neither socket looks like a master socket, are you sure there isn't
another socket lurking in corner (or cupboard) somewhere?

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???