Re: [Hampshire] xorg.conf problems in new Etch install

Author: John Paul Wallington
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] xorg.conf problems in new Etch install
"HantsLUG Mail" <hantslug@???> writes:

> I tried it immediately. I deleted (or, in some cases, commented out)
> everything other than the depth and resolution I wanted (which was, after
> all, already the default).
>
> Gnome and KDE still determinedly display at 60Hz and 640x480. :-(

You could look in the log (possibly /var/log/Xorg.0.log) to see
whether the X Server says why it chooses that mode. Also might be
worth hitting Ctrl Meta Keypad+ and Ctrl Meta Keypad- to change
resolutions, making sure option DontZoom isn't set, and see whether it
works or fails and if so what appears in the log.