Re: [Hampshire] Google desktop services

Author: Simon Capstick
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Google desktop services
Damian Brasher wrote:
> Keith Edmunds wrote:
>
>> "Do no evil"? Maybe not, but they're legally allowed to if they change
>> their mind.
>
> I, like everyone else, like the google search engine. I don't have a
> google email account, perhaps I should but I still like my own email
> server. Google use open source technology and good for them release
> freebies and host open source projects. They are much better in many ways
> than Microsoft and a more consciences www service delivery agent than
> most. But much is aimed at the consumer and in that sense they make money
> by protecting their products and services. All in all I'd prefer to use
> all my own facilities where possible.
>
> I think their lawyer must have had too much Red Bull the day he wrote that:)
>
> IM'umbleO
>
> --
> Damian Brasher

I'm with Keith on this one. The old quote "Power tends to corrupt, and
absolute power corrupts absolutely." pops into mind when I read that
section of the license agreement.

Superficially at least it seems similar to how most fascist regimes come
to power. Promise to better protect people (or provide a better
service) by introducing more draconian laws (or license agreements),
explaining they will only be used for the good ("do no evil"), then when
someone meaner or more desperate comes along the powers start being used
in more novel and unintended (read 'bad') ways.

Simon