Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5676f100.hantslug.org.uk.24482': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Oct 17 21:57:26 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi,

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 20:37 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> No disrespect to Ubuntu here but I had hoped as the install had been such a
> breeze that it would "just work". Anyway back to the plot, a quick google
> told me to issue the command
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Perhaps googling _before_ swapping cards would also have told you this?
That way you could reconfigure and as soon as you boot with the new
card, it would work.

> Was this the right answer?

For Feisty yes.

> I'm always keen to see distributions improve
> and I had expected Ubuntu to just handle the upgrade and perhaps ask for
> drivers (as Window$ would for instance) but one command to fix it is fine by
> me. Just wondering if there is a simpler solution that I missed.

Good news!

Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 ships (sometime) tomorrow, and there are two
improvements which (combined) would have made this problem go away
(probably).

Bullet proof X seeks to always be able to get a graphical environment up
even if your xorg.conf is wrong - or indeed if it doesn't exist.

DisplayConfig is an application which allows you to graphically manage
your video card(s) driver(s), and display(s) so that you shouldn't need
to run dpkg-reconfigure in a terminal to fix the issue you had.

What would happen under Gutsy is that x would try to start, fail, and
immediately boot into a graphical config tool which allows you to test
out various configurations. When you're happy you hit ok and it creates
a new xorg.conf.

That's the theory anyway :)

Cheers,
Al.