Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card
Thanks Al

The plot has thickened since then and I'm sadly not far off being back to
square 1.

All was working fine until I noticed I'd lost my wheel mouse. That and the
screen was marginally too big for the monitor. I did try displayconfig-gtk
(couldn't find DisplayConfig in Synpatic) - was this the one you meant?

However, the stage I'm now at is being unable to get any sort of graphical
display at all - not even the username and password screen. So much so in
fact that the only way I can currently get in at all is either ssh or
Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get me into some terminal mode.

However, in trying to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, I'm getting an
error because the server's still running.

According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973

I can do gdm stop to do this - but that's not working either i.e. somehow
it's not stopping the server so I'm guessing dpkg-reconfigure with the
server still running is a non-starter.

What I need to do is boot, stop X from starting, dpkg-reconfigure to get the
correct settings, and gdm start (repeat until settings are correct) but as I
can't start X (or even login!) I'm a bit sunk.

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace does kill the X session but doesn't give me a prompt
after its messages.

Something's gone wrong and I can't see where the answer lies. I'm happy to
upgrade to gutsy but unless a clean install, I'll need to transfer quite a
few files first so I'm keen to stick with feisty if poss.

Sorry this email is a bit disjointed - but everything I've tried to fix this
has failed!

Cheers
Rob