RE: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

Author: Noble R.M.
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

> However, in trying to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, I'm getting

an
> error because the server's still running.
>
> According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973
>
> I can do gdm stop to do this - but that's not working either i.e.

somehow
> it's not stopping the server so I'm guessing dpkg-reconfigure with the

> server still running is a non-starter.

As far as I am aware, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should work fine
with X running, as long as you are in a TTY.

If you can ssh in then I recommend manually editing your xorg.conf (
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) to use the "vesa" driver, then reboot and
see if GUI works again. Then try using the ubuntu Restricted Drivers
Manager (in the admin menus) to install the official nvidia driver. This
should auto update your xorg.conf to use the new driver with optimal
settings

Rob n