Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Ashburner" <hantslug@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:54 AM

> Rob Malpass wrote:
>
>> What I need to do is boot, stop X from starting, dpkg-reconfigure to get
>> the correct settings, and gdm start (repeat until settings are correct)
>> but as I can't start X (or even login!) I'm a bit sunk.
>
> You could try:
>
> # telinit 3
>
> To drop to runlevel 3 which should kill off the X server
>
> James
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 269.15.0/1076 - Release Date: 17/10/2007 19:53

Ok folks - the good news and the bad news:

Good: I have it working absolutely perfectly. So much so that I've played
my first ever 3d accelerated game of Tuxracer (or whatever it's now called).

Bad: I barely know how I did it. First thing I did was (thanks to the
first good configuration with the new card), I mv'd that file to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Having done that, I got a nice icon saying need to
download the nvidia drivers which it did and since then it's come back up
with image perfectly positioned on the screen, lovely colour depth and as I
say tuxracer works very well.

The only thing that's not working is the wretched wheel on my mouse.

I think I'll make a very safe copy of xorg.conf before fiddling further.

Cheers
Rob