Re: [Hampshire] dyndns service changes?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dyndns service changes?

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Adam Trickett wrote:

> I've had that in the past. Basically my dynamic IP didn't change much so they
> treated that as lack of activity. I just manually set it to something else
> then set it back again. All okay.

Yes, but they used to provide a service designed for people who's IP
addresses didn't change much, now they seem to have dropped that service.

> They need to make money, they aren't a charity.

I understand that, we all need to make money somehow and if they had simply
said "heck we need more money" I wouldn't have has a problem with that.

This I see as being somewhat more under handed. It's a change of service
which they are calling an improvement, but clearly isn't for people who
used the old service they have discontinued and to add insult to injury
they are saying well using our new improved service you have to pay to get
the same features you used to have.

It's not the end of the world, I just wish they had been more honest about
their motivations.

Andy