Re: [Hampshire] dyndns service changes?

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dyndns service changes?
Adam Trickett wrote:
> On Sunday 21 Oct 2007, Andy Random wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anybody else here use dyndns.com?
>>

> Yes.

It's the only service ny NetGear DG834G supports, so I too use it
(though I actually chose it by chance, and set it up about five minutes
before I discovered that it was indeed the only one supported!).
>> I got an email from them this weekend telling my account was about to
>> expire due to inactivity, which was something of a surprise as I've had
>> the same level of activity for most of the last 3 or 4 years.

I haven't had this particular email, but I only use their free dynamic
service.
> I've had that in the past. Basically my dynamic IP didn't change much so they
> treated that as lack of activity. I just manually set it to something else
> then set it back again. All okay.

My dad's cable modem address almost never changes, so I have
occasionally had such reminders - you just have to set it to the same
value again (no need to change away and back).

Simon