Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 05:27:09PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
>> Hugo Mills wrote:
>> >    Does anyone have any experience of the Toshiba Tecra laptops?
>> > Specifically, the A9 series. I'm interested in both the build quality
>> > and any comments you might have about running Linux on it. More
>> > general comments about older/other Tecra models would be appreciated
>> > as well.

>> http://www.linux-laptop.net/ in a word may help you...
>>
>> I like Toshiba laptops, however Dell are great as a work horse -
>> deliveries and service can be a little flakey!
>
>    Tecra A9 isn't listed on that site. Also, I'm reasonably sure that
> it won't have any problems with Linux, as I chose the hardware fairly
> carefully for Linux compatibility, and the Gentoo wiki says that it's
> the same base platform as the Latitude D630, which I know works pretty
> well with Linux.

>    I was more after the thoughts of people who've used/handled one,
> and can give an opinion on whether it's built like a tank, or is
> likely to have bits dropping off it within a month.

Often the Linux laptop site contains a mixture of harware platforms I tend
to 'pick & mix' between a few models to build a harware compatibility
profile of the laptop not yet listed.

I used two Toshiba Satellite Pro's between 2000 and 2006 and both were
robust and worked very well with Linux on the whole. Wireless did not work
on the second.

Damian

--
Damian Brasher