Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x576d0100.hantslug.org.uk.12870': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Oct 28 13:41:21 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Hugo,
On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 17:00 +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
>    Does anyone have any experience of the Toshiba Tecra laptops?
> Specifically, the A9 series. I'm interested in both the build quality
> and any comments you might have about running Linux on it. More
> general comments about older/other Tecra models would be appreciated
> as well.

Not a Tecra, but a Toshiba M400 portege. Build quality is less than
stellar in my opinion. It's quite plasticy, but saying that I dropped it
on its corner a while ago, and it has survived.

Everything (*) works on it - intel video, wifi, dvd, media slot, finger
print reader, tablet screen, touchpad usb/firewire and so on.

The only real annoyance for me is that you have to install Windows to
apply some Toshiba BIOS updates.

Cheers,
Al.

(*) Except Bluetooth, but I spoke to the bluetooth maintainer last night
in the bar and he said he'd fix it for me today, I'll let you know if he
does. Whatever he does may need to be done for other tosh laptops.