Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops
Hugo Mills wrote:
>    All -

>    Does anyone have any experience of the Toshiba Tecra laptops?
> Specifically, the A9 series. I'm interested in both the build quality
> and any comments you might have about running Linux on it. More
> general comments about older/other Tecra models would be appreciated
> as well.

This Tecra below was the successful subject of a Computer Club install
in Reading some months ago - after I gave a talk on FOSS the club
thought an actual install would be useful.
I used a xubuntu 7.04 alternaate (text only) install, and it took less
than the 2 hours of the meeting, and was successful, with no problems.
It was noted that the boot facility was somehow proprietary - iirc (I
may be hazy here) I think the CD drive was an external one. I know I
was concerned that if things went badly wrong, the owner might loose
the machine because the boot facilty - DOS floppy reinstall, special
to toshiba - or something (sorry) was unusual by todays standards.
Anyway the owner had an image of the drive, so was confident it could
be recovered. Anyway it was not a current machine an dit now has a new
lease of life.

The build quality on this model seemed good, durable.

Toshiba Tecra 8100. PIII 650MHz
128M RAM

--
alan cocks