Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Toshiba Tecra laptops

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x578c3100.hantslug.org.uk.22992': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Oct 27 18:32:16 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 05:27:09PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
> Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    Does anyone have any experience of the Toshiba Tecra laptops?
> > Specifically, the A9 series. I'm interested in both the build quality
> > and any comments you might have about running Linux on it. More
> > general comments about older/other Tecra models would be appreciated
> > as well.

> http://www.linux-laptop.net/ in a word may help you...
>
> I like Toshiba laptops, however Dell are great as a work horse -
> deliveries and service can be a little flakey!

Tecra A9 isn't listed on that site. Also, I'm reasonably sure that
it won't have any problems with Linux, as I chose the hardware fairly
carefully for Linux compatibility, and the Gentoo wiki says that it's
the same base platform as the Latitude D630, which I know works pretty
well with Linux.

I was more after the thoughts of people who've used/handled one,
and can give an opinion on whether it's built like a tank, or is
likely to have bits dropping off it within a month.

Hugo.

   --- Well, you don't get to be a kernel hacker simply by looking ---
                    good in Speedos. -- Rusty Russell