Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x568a1100.hantslug.org.uk.31197': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Oct 27 18:53:53 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 02:36:32PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
> The amount of data you can squeeze in to a remote archive scheme
> is limited, say 100 Meg in three hours with a degree of
> differential recovery over a domestic broadband line - that's not
> quite 1G per day, so it could take you all year:) but you will
> have access to data in three places!

I think you will be surprised just how much data you can keep backed
up over a domestic DSL.

I keep data from 25 remote machines backed up at home using
rsnapshot and it amounts to 48GiB in the most recent backup. Of
course the main concern is how often it changes (since this is an
incremental backup done every 4 hours). I generally see only a few
tens of MiB transferred every 4 hours. I'm doing this over a 2Mbit/s
Zen ADSL and rarely notice when it's running.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.