Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies
Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 02:36:32PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
>> The amount of data you can squeeze in to a remote archive scheme
>> is limited, say 100 Meg in three hours with a degree of
>> differential recovery over a domestic broadband line - that's not
>> quite 1G per day, so it could take you all year:) but you will
>> have access to data in three places!
>
> I think you will be surprised just how much data you can keep backed
> up over a domestic DSL.
>
> I keep data from 25 remote machines backed up at home using
> rsnapshot and it amounts to 48GiB in the most recent backup. Of
> course the main concern is how often it changes (since this is an
> incremental backup done every 4 hours). I generally see only a few
> tens of MiB transferred every 4 hours. I'm doing this over a 2Mbit/s
> Zen ADSL and rarely notice when it's running.

Yes - even with 300GB to archive, if the initial copies are made manually,
by physically placing disks at your remote location(s) then you only need
to worry about the differentials - which as you say can be very
manageable. But if you want to start from scratch then you need to think
differently.

Also you need to be knowledgeable of potential changes, if you don't know
the data source then as an administrator you need to work with the worst
case scenario, that is a change from say 300GB to 0 GB back to 300GB in a
time span of, at worst say 2 hours - assuming the source is capable of
handling the addition of 300GB in a a couple of hours.

Damian

--
Damian Brasher
www.diap.org.uk "Aiming to protect mission critical data: 'You can't afford