Re: [Hampshire] Ripping DVDs?

Author: Stuart Sears
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ripping DVDs?
Andy Random wrote:
[edited prossibly just because I can :) ]
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions on the quickest/easiest way to rip some DVDs to files
> viewable on my laptop?

/me uses mencoder for this, a bit like the following (usually scripted,
actually):
mencoder -alang en dvd://tracknumber -vf scale -zoom -xy 800 \
-o outputname.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
codec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=800 -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=256

from a GUI perspective, I've always liked ogmrip, which is a graphical
frontend to mencoder.
It is almost certainly in an APT or YUM repo somewhere.

http://ogmrip.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

> Being able to compress the files a bit more would be nice as well, but
> not essential.
>
> Also while kinda on the subject, any suggestions for just extracting
> audio from a DVD or video clip?

I think mencoder can do that as well, as can avidemux.

regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy.