Re: [Hampshire] install linux without internet connection?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] install linux without internet connection?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58212100.hantslug.org.uk.14014': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 23 13:38:32 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:33:47PM +0100, Peter Alefounder wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2007 Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    aptitude or synaptic for package installation. I don't know what
> > else yast provides (my vague memories of using it a while ago are that
> > it also provides pain and heartache).

> Yast does many things, some better than others. One of them is to allow
> the user to search the package descriptions and select software for
> installation. It then asks for the relevant CDs and installs things.

To find packages by description:

$ apt-cache search "search string"

To install a package whose name you know:

$ sudo aptitude install <packagename>

If you run aptitude without any parameters, you will get a GUI that
allows you to examine and select packages for installation and
uninstallation. Synaptic will also allow you to do this in a GUI
environment.

> Does aptitude/synaptic work in the same way with CDs? Maybe I should I copy
> the CDs to hard disk and let it install from that?

No, it works fine with CDs. apt-cdrom will add CDs to the system if
they weren't already on there from the initial installation.

Hugo.

             --- Ceci est un travail pour l'Australien. ---