Re: [Hampshire] soft lockup detected on CPU#0

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] soft lockup detected on CPU#0
On Thursday 25 October 2007 12:13:08 Simon Capstick wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have an 8 core Dell Poweredge which we're running Gentoo on,
> > which is basically just being used to run VMWare server (not ESX).
> >
> > Kernel/CPU details as follows:
> >
> > Linux hydra 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #2 SMP Tue Oct 9 16:25:09 GMT 2007
> > x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5335 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> >
> > hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>
> I've seen similar soft-lockups when using Xen but the causes look very
> different. There's definitely something going on with your IDE adapter.
> I've actually seen this before many years ago but cannot remember the
> cause. It may be worth checking that the cable to the CD drive is
> firmly inserted. Or maybe just remove or disconnect the CD drive if
> it's unsolvable and you can't live with it.

That's something to check. I'm not sure whether the CD errors
happen all the time, or just around when the soft lockup occurs
(there are a lot of CD errors, but I'm not sure how to get timestamp
info out of dmesg, so no idea how regular they are, or whether
they are related to the soft lockups).

Cheers.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk