Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Courtier-Dutton" <james.dutton@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 2:00 PM

On 26/10/2007, Rob Malpass <rob@???> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'll keep this as short as possible - I've written this message 3 times
> and each time it's turned into a story...
>
> What's the best way (hardware solution) of backing up 300+Gb of data?
> I can't store it off site.. Frequency of backup is about once a month.
>
> Options I've considered
> 1) DVD - even Blu-ray is only 50 odd Gb isn't it - so even max
> compression wouldn't work?
> 2) Tape - nothing approaching that much capacity.
> 3) HDD - preferably NAS but probably USB and left completely
> disconnected when not in use to avoid power spikes etc.
> 4) Some sort of commercial backup where the files are stored deep
> underground most likely in Siberia. Not only costly but with an upload
> of only 256Kbps across my domestic broadband - 300Gb is going to take
> ages.
>
> Have I missed anything?
>
> Cheers
> Rob
>
> WEST SUSSEX PCT INFORMATION NOTICE:

Backup is a security issue.
First decide what you are protecting against and the value of what you
are protecting.
1) Normally this includes entire building being destroyed and all it's
contents.
2) Regarding value, determine what it would cost you if you lost all the
data?

So, this normally requires some sort off site backup.
Companies normally use online storage for backups now days, and if the
company has two different sites, they normally have a network link
between them already and use the online storage at the other office to
provide the off site backup.
In the case of not having a second office, and not affording a network
link to an offsite backup service provider, one is then left with
removable media backups.
Currently tape are the most reliable long term storage media, but
backup of 300Gb+ of data and you would be looking at tape Ultrium3
autochangers, and they are about £2000 ish, with tape media on top of
that.
You state that you only have £500 to spend so tapes are now not an option.
Is the value of your data really only £500?
I would therefore choose to use USB or External-SATA(faster) hard disks.
You should be able to get at least two HDs (for redundancy) and use
some backup software like bacula to provide daily differential backups
of your machines.
You need at least two HDs. One being offsite and one being in the
office being backed up onto, and then swap the HDs always ensuring
that one is kept offsite and that both of them are never in the office
(i.e. so that a backup always exists offsite).
You have to remember that the data stored on a HD has a limited life,
which is sometimes only 3 years.

James

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???
17:38

Thanks for all that. In fact, I think I've found a solution. It struck
me as odd that Windows couldn't handle an ext3 fs so a bit more googling
revealed that it in fact can.

There's a program called explorer2fs for Windows which can read ext3
filesystems. I've just plugged my USB ext3 into it and it's bought the
files up fine and I can copy them to my Windows HDD.

So the solution is now obvious a £80 USB HDD from somewhere and if the
linkstation fails, I can get at the files using that app.

Cheers
Rob