Re: [Hampshire] FAX over SIP

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FAX over SIP
Hi Guys,

If you only send a few faxes and don't mind a banner page on the front
with "a word from our sponsors", you could try The Phone Company's
service: http://www.tpc.int

This is a free mail-to-fax service. All the deliveries I've seen in the
UK have been via Demon.

You get an email message telling you when it was, or was not, delivered.
That can help if you want faxes to close a legal transaction.

There are a number of fax-to-mail gateways, quite a few, like Demon's,
use 0870 numbers to earn their crust. Googling for "fax to mail gateway"
should find some. I'm not sure how many of these also charge a fee; I
suspect most.

I think most places can now do some kind of fax-to-mail function, even
if it's scan to a .pdf on a copier, so you may not really need the
incomming. When I set up my incomming with Demon, I received a total of
five faxes all the time I had it. The one for which I had to set it up
and the four I sent testing and proving the setup. Everyone else has
just been happy with sending it as an e-mail.

HTH, ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.