Re: [Hampshire] FAX over SIP

Top Page
Author: Dave Walker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FAX over SIP

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56fa2100.hantslug.org.uk.14617': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 26 22:52:01 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key D17910D5904A3269

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 14:20 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> I have two requirements here, the first is for a quick and dirty
> solution to send a fax quickly, the second is for a better longer term
> solution.

<SNIP>

Hi Paul,

As others have mentioned, SIP for Fax is unreliable, at best -
especially over the Internet where you can have no QoS. T.38 is the Fax
over IP protocol, but if you can find a VOIP supplier that supports it -
let alone well, then you are luckier than me.

HylaFax (and the others) are great for when you use a physical phone
line. Either POTS or ISDN*, but not for external IP transmission.

I also heavily use Asterisk, and found that Email->Fax to be the best
way. There are many suppliers that provide a Fax API that allows
submission of a PDF directly via scripts, this is all handled on my
server. For inbound faxes I use a a Fax->Email service that appears
directly in my inbox, and is all processed externally.

One thing I should mention.. If you really want access to a physical fax
machine, where a scanner will not suffice - I know of people that have
had good success using SIP (uLaw) to their * server, then performing a
similar process to what I have outlined above. Personally i prefer a
scanner.

If you want a hand with the Asterisk side of it, give me a mail or grab
me on IRC.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker