Re: [Hampshire] list moderation? [ADMIN]

Author: Tony Whitmore (Dedi)
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] list moderation? [ADMIN]
James Ogden wrote:
> OK, and with that response from Damian, can we leave this thread for now please?
>
> Obviously I don't mean to stop discussion about list policies, but can
> we take a
> deep breath for, say, 24 hours and come back with a new thread and without
> any baggage which has built up today?

I think this is a good idea. If anyone does have any further thoughts on
the matter, please bear the following in mind:

As Hostmaster I am responsible for moderating the mailing list. I am
fortunate to have two long serving list moderators to whom I can leave
this responsibility for the majority of the time, Andy and James. This
deputisation is allowed by section 6 of our constitution. (Ian and Alan
have no role in operation of the mailing list.)

However, I would like to state that I stand by the moderators and
believe that they do a great job which is generally under-appreciated.
Like our committee members, they are volunteers who give their time for
the benefit of the LUG. I think it is more appropriate to raise issues
through the routes James has advised in previous mails.

I believe that the power of list moderation is to wield it lightly.
Crashing down on every thing which might offend someone is not only
an impossible task, but also does not lead to development of a lively
and diverse community, which I believe we have here and should look to
maintain.

If 10 voting members wish to call an EGM (or wait until next year's AGM)
to raise demand a signature policy or to question the performance of
those for whom I am responsible then please read up on section 9 of the
constitution where you will find the necessary requirements documented.
I am not allowed to publish the list of registered voters online but it
might be worth re-iterating that to have a vote on such matters you need
to register as a voting member using the published procedure.

Tony