Re: [Hampshire] Monitoring Hardware RAID Controllers from Li…

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Monitoring Hardware RAID Controllers from Linux
dave@??? wrote:
> I am trying to monitor hardware RAID (specifically, RAID 1) on a Dell
> PowerEdge SC1430. Basically, for many reasons, we want to use Hardware RAID
> rather than Linux software raid. Since the server will be safely stored

> My other question which I'm hoping might get a good response is does
> anybody have any experience with any hardware raid card (SATA or SAS) that
> has good support for monitoring the status of the RAID array under Linux
> (preferably Debian!).
>
> Cheers

We have been using 3ware SATA RAID controllers (9500S if I remember
correctly) on Debian for a few years now. I don't think they break any
speed records but they seem to be reliable and easy to use. I get email
status notifications (including write-cache battery status) with the
supplied 3dm2 software. It has a nice easy to use web interface too.

I believe they have a SAS controller now with RAID 6 too.

Funnily enough I switched to 3Ware after getting headaches trying to
work with Dell RAID controllers which seemed to have standard RAID
hardware locked away behind proprietary interfaces.

Simon