Re: [Hampshire] Monitoring Hardware RAID Controllers from Li…

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Monitoring Hardware RAID Controllers from Linux
On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 16:19:50 +0000 (+0000), Simon Capstick wrote:
> We have been using 3ware SATA RAID controllers (9500S if I remember
> correctly) on Debian for a few years now. I don't think they break
> any speed records but they seem to be reliable and easy to use. I
> get email status notifications (including write-cache battery
> status) with the supplied 3dm2 software. It has a nice easy to use
> web interface too.

ah, wondered what that was, I know it better as "tw_cli".

My experiences with 3ware have not been good. To be fair, this is
mostly down the fact that the servers with them in have the el-cheapo
non-battery backed model.

If the servers are powered off due to hosting companies either losing
power or lazy sysadmins (who shall not be named), the RAID-1 array
frequently fell out of sync - and then required a manual kick to bring
it back online.

Oddly it seems to require the 64-bit (statically linked (ew!)) binary
on boxes with 32bit userspace, 64bit kernel.

The Dell PERC5i (actually LSILogic) cards OTOH were battery backed and
work fine. At least once you turn the write cache on - otherwise they
are _dreadfully_ slow. As to why all our boxes came without it turned
on, I've no idea.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers