Re: [Hampshire] Only 400 people use BBC News from Linux

Top Page
Author: Dave Walker
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Only 400 people use BBC News from Linux

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57252100.hantslug.org.uk.17247': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 2 13:05:40 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key D17910D5904A3269

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 12:34 +0000, Adam Trickett wrote:
<SNIP>
> > I'd be interested to know how those statistics are gathered.
>
> I agree, I think it's a vacuous and stupid statement to make, I'm sure there
> are more than 400 Linux users in the United Kingdom, and I'm pretty sure a
> high percentage check the BBC site at some point during a typical week.

<SNIP>

Hi Adam,

Well I know that the Firefox shipped with Ubuntu includes a subscribed
RSS feed to BBC News titled "Latest BBC Headlines", this gets it feed
from:
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/front_page/rss.xml

So we _know_ that more than 600 people in the UK are at least getting
their headlines, and I suspect many do follow the RSS to a main story
page.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker