Re: [Hampshire] Only 400 people use BBC News from Linux

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Only 400 people use BBC News from Linux

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c74100.hantslug.org.uk.6251': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 2 12:34:19 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Friday 02 Nov 2007, Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** Tony Whitmore <tony@???> [2007-11-02 10:44]:
> > That's the claim from the BBC's head of technology in a recent interview:
> >
> > http://linkpot.net/diatribe/
> >
> > "We have 17.1 million users of bbc.co.uk in the UK and, as far as our
> > server logs can make out, 5 per cent of those [use Macs] and around 400
> > to 600 are Linux users."
>
> I'd be interested to know how those statistics are gathered.

I agree, I think it's a vacuous and stupid statement to make, I'm sure there
are more than 400 Linux users in the United Kingdom, and I'm pretty sure a
high percentage check the BBC site at some point during a typical week.

Is the BBC head of technology another former Microsoft executive?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte