Re: [Hampshire] Only 400 people use BBC News from Linux

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Only 400 people use BBC News from Linux

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:19:52 +0000, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:

> I'd be interested to know how those statistics are gathered. Do they
> take into account new feeds used on other sites that provide the BBC
> news, or does it just cover the bbc.co.uk home page?

The original article just referenced "server logs" so your guess is as good
as mine.

>> If you'd like to help prove this statement wrong, please consider
> signing this
>> petition:
>>
>> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/linuxbbc/
>
> Much as I would like to I'm not entirely sure that this is the best site
> to use. To require a fee to sign a petition is going to reduce the
> number of people likely to sign it! There are other sites better suited
> I would suggest.

Well, I didn't set the petition up and as others have pointed out you do
not have to pay to sign! They ask for donations /after/ you have signed it.
Admittedly it's not clear but I suspect that's partly by design.

>> And/or joining this Facebook group:
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21236595408&ref=nf
>
> As an aside, am I the only person that considers the Facebook site one
> of the worst designed sites on the internet?

No, that's Myspace.

Thanks,

Tony