[Hampshire] [OT] Cameras revisited

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Cameras revisited
A few weeks back I mentioned that my Olympus C-990 had ceased to
function properly. A local camera shop told me I could get a better
camera for less than their minimum repair cost and Steven Davies
suggested I prise off the sliding lens cover to see if this would
reveal the cause of the problem

I eventually removed the cover and found that it was supposed to
rotate the on /off switch as it moved from closed to open
position. I think that the end stop on a plastic groove is worn
so failing to operate the switch. I considered several ways of fixing
this but in the end decided a replacement camera was the answer

I browsed several local shops for a replacement candidate including a
look at the Fuji S5700 in Jessops yesterday. Their price for that
model was £135.

This afternoon I went to Fuji's online shop and found I could get a
S5600 for just over £86. The S5600 looks on paper to be better than
its replacement in some respects so I have ordered one.

So the lady in Castle Cameras was right when she said I could get a
better camera for less than the cost of repairing the Olympus.

Hopefully my camera requirements will now be covered for a few more
years and it will be simple enough for my wife to use. She quite
likes the tiny camera I got from a LUG member a couple of months back
for a tenner but it does have its limitations.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package