Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Cameras revisited

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Cameras revisited
I'm in a similar situation. I've been using a Pentax Optio S4 which, despite
being a matchbox-sized camera, is capable of some quite serious photography.
I have all sorts of accessories which fit various Pentax models, so I have a
powerful incentive to stay with the brand.

Just before going on a trip abroad recently, the camera developed a fault.
As John notes, technology has moved on, prices have dropped, etc., so I
planned to buy a new one rather than pay repair charges. Problem: None of
the later models have an eye-level viewfinder!

I used a borrowed Pentax S5 on holiday and found that it was practically
useless in bright sunlight. It is impossible to compose a picture and I
found myself pointing the camera in the vague direction of the subject, and
hoping. Result: about a quarter of my pictures will have to be deleted.

The moral of this story is: think carefully before buying a new pocket
camera. It may be capable of many megapixels, but you might have limited
control over what you capture.

Chris.