Re: [Hampshire] CD writing of interest

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: johnrhunt, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CD writing of interest
On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:38:27PM +1100, John Hunt wrote:
> Stumbled accross a website today [1] while reading about DVD-RAM discs
> as I never really found out what they were.
>
> While clicking around I discovered something fairly interesting called
> Mt. Rainier packet writing, as I've only skimmed over it a bit, I'll
> tell you in a nutshell that it means that you can use cd-r media like a
> floppy disc, no more mkisofs etc..

If you're using mkisofs then you need to investigate k3b and the like. :)

Mt. Rainier has been around for a few years now and has been in the Linux
kernel since 2004. It's an extension of the UDF packet writing format which
has been around for even longer.

One of the problems with packet writing is that the media are not easily
transportable between systems. Each blank medium also has to be prepared,
which is slow and the useful life of the disk is reduced because of the
repeated writing to it. At least, that's been my experience of it.

Tony