Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 16:54:49 +0000
hantslug@??? wrote:

> Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude install rsync

<snipped>

> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
> Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Building tag database... Done
> iceweasel-gnome-support: Depends: iceweasel (=
> 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1) but 2.0
> .0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
> Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude install rsync

<snipped>

> 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1) but 2.0
> .0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
> Resolving dependencies...
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files
> package. This migh
> t mean you need to manually fix this package.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Upgrade the following packages:
> iceweasel [2.0.0.6-0etch1 (now) -> 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 (stable)]
>
> Score is 0
>
> ******Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n*****
> Resolving dependencies...
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Downgrade the following packages:
> iceweasel [2.0.0.6-0etch1 (now) -> 2.0.0.3-1 (stable)]
> iceweasel-gnome-support [2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 (stable, now) ->
> 2.0.0.3-1 (stable)]
>
> Score is -130
>
> *****Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n*****
> Resolving dependencies...
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> iceweasel-gnome-support
>
> Score is -301
>
> *****Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q*****
> Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
> Abort.
> Tux:/home/lisi#

As you have seen aptitude will try to do more than just installing
rsync, "apt-get install rsync" would have done just that and nothing
more. Aptitude on the other hand knows there are problems with
another package and will try to resolve it. it would have installed
rsync (and upgraded Iceweasel) if you had said _yes_ to the first of
the above *****questions****** but because you rejected the offered
solutions aptitude aborted.

Running aptitude full-upgrade might resolve the other dependency
problems but I'm not sure why

It will be better not to follow Adam's suggestion to download rsync
and install with dpkg if at all possible.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package