Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

Author: hantslug
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up
On Saturday 03 November 2007 12:10, Adam Trickett wrote:
> On Friday 02 Nov 2007, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > cp -Rpu /home/. /backup
>
> I take it you are happy and everything is working okay?
>
> One small suggestion is that you may wish to consider the rsync command
> rather than the old style cp. I'm sure you have heard of rsync, it's the
> clever tool by the Samba people that only copies the parts of the file that
> have changed between two computers. Anyhow you don't have to use it between
> computers, if you have a large collection of files in one directory tree
> and you want to keep a copy of them in another directory tree you can use
> rsync to do it for you, it should in theory be much faster than cp
> (assuming lots of files and a fast CPU) and best of all it can also be
> configure to delete files in the backup tree once they have gone from the
> source tree!
>
> Just a thought. Try
>
> man rsync
>
> for details and (many) options and
>
> aptitude install rsync
>
> if you don't have it yet.

:-( See below. :-( I fear that I am not going to get anywhere with anything
until I can have more than a snatched moment at my computer. :-(

Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude install rsync
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
iceweasel-gnome-support
acroread-debian-files iceweasel realplayer
rsync
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 451kB will be used.
iceweasel-gnome-support: Depends: iceweasel (= 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1) but
2.0
.0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
Resolving dependencies...
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package. This
migh
t mean you need to manually fix this package.

Upgrade the following packages:
iceweasel [2.0.0.6-0etch1 (now) -> 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 (stable)]

Score is 0

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
acroread-debian-files realplayer
rsync
iceweasel
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 254kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Error!
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package. This
migh
t mean you need to manually fix this package.
E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude update
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch Release
Get:2 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Packages
Get:3 http://deb.opera.com etch Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Sources
Hit http://deb.opera.com etch Release
Err http://deb.opera.com etch Release

Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get:4 http://deb.opera.com etch Release [866B]
Ign http://deb.opera.com etch Release
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://deb.opera.com etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://deb.opera.com etch/non-free Packages
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
Hit http://deb.opera.com etch/non-free Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Sources
Get:5 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release.gpg [189B]
Get:6 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release [5535B]
Ign http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages
Fetched 6781B in 2s (2641B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://deb.opera.com etch Release: The following signatures
couldn
't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY
033431536A4237
91
Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude upgrade
[...]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
Resolving dependencies...

Downgrade the following packages:
iceweasel [2.0.0.6-0etch1 (now) -> 2.0.0.3-1 (stable)]
iceweasel-gnome-support [2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 (stable, now) -> 2.0.0.3-1
(stable)]

Score is -130

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
iceweasel-gnome-support

Score is -301

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.
Tux:/home/lisi#

[lisi@Tux:~]$ dpkg -s rsync
Package `rsync' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
[lisi@Tux:~]$