Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Lisi Reisz
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up
On Sunday 04 Nov 2007, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007 12:10, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > On Friday 02 Nov 2007, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > > cp -Rpu /home/. /backup

> > for details and (many) options and
> >
> > aptitude install rsync
> >
> > if you don't have it yet.
> >
> :-( See below. :-( I fear that I am not going to get anywhere with
> : anything
>
> until I can have more than a snatched moment at my computer. :-(
>

> The following packages are BROKEN:
> iceweasel-gnome-support
> The following packages have been kept back:
> acroread-debian-files iceweasel realplayer
> rsync
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 451kB will be used.
> iceweasel-gnome-support: Depends: iceweasel (= 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1)
> but 2.0
> .0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
> Resolving dependencies...
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package. This
> migh
> t mean you need to manually fix this package.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Upgrade the following packages:
> iceweasel [2.0.0.6-0etch1 (now) -> 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 (stable)]

<cuts/>

That means something is broken, but it's not rsync. If push comes to shove you
can download the rsync deb file directly and then install with dpkg, it's not
advisable to do on a day to day basis but sometimes you need to do it.

Point a browser at:

http://packages.debian.org/etch/rsync

Follow the link for your architecture at the bottom, that will take you to a
page reminding you to use aptitude or synaptic and then save the deb file.
Install with sudo dpkg -i rsync-foo-bar-baz.deb (or what ever it's called.

Your other problems are not related to rsync, but something else is misaligned
somewhere...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Men who have excessive faith in their theories or ideas
are not only ill prepared for making discoveries, they
also make poor observations.
    -- Claude Bernard